Laurie Mika : Clay Quilts -Saturday, August 26, 2017 (FULL)
August 26 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm| $160.00
I am so excited to be hosting international artist Laurie Mika at my home studio in NW Calgary. Laurie is a well known artist, author and instructor. Over the last two decades, Laurie developed a unique and original style utilizing handmade polymer clay tiles to create narrative mosaics. You can see more of Laurie’s fabulous art on her website :
or purchase some of her marvelous creations on her etsy store
Clay Quilts-Saturday, August 26, 2017, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm (only 8 seats available)
In this non-traditional approach to quilt making, we will use polymer clay to create individual quilt squares. Each square will have an intricate design leading to an overall beautiful, jewel-like quilt. We will take the day to explore the many surface possibilities using polymer clay. Our experimentation in clay will push the medium to the max, emphasizing a layered approach. A myriad of mixed media techniques will be used to create each handmade quilt square. These techniques include using molds, stamping, painting the raw clay, using mica and embossing powders, gold leaf, beading and embedding metal, fabric, paper, and jewelry into the clay. By the end of the day, students will be able to arrange their squares and glue them to a substrate to create a clay quilt masterpiece! No previous clay experience necessary.
Student Supply List- Please Bring :
- Your lunch and indoor shoes.
- 5 or 6 (2 ounce) packages of either Premo or Sculpey III polymer clay-an assortment of related colors. Make sure the clay is soft to the touch, if it is rock hard, don’t buy it! Please condition the clay prior to class by kneading it until softened and then place it in a baggie.
- Assorted paintbrushes to include a fine detail brush and a one-inch flat brush
- Doo-Dads-like beads, charms, jewelry parts, rhinestones, rhinestone chain, ball chain, metal findings, wings, crowns, buttons and tiny frames.
- Circle or square clay (cookie) cutters (like Kemper or Ateco cutters)
- A few small pieces of felt roving, fabric trim, small pieces of fabric like Sari borders or lace
Date : Saturday, August 26, 2017
Time : 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
Where : NW Calgary Home studio -once you have registered I will email you the address
Cost : $ 160.00 CAD
Skill Level : No experience required-beginners welcome!
Where: NW Calgary Studio ( I will email you the address once you have registered)
Registration is now open. To reserve your seat you will be required to mail Elitia a postdated cheque for August 1, 2017 to reserve your seat. Unfortunately, no refunds on cancellation after August 7, 2017 – a credit will be applied to future workshops at my home studio.
To reserve your seat and check on availability please send Elitia an email at email@example.com